In Year 1 we strive to make the learning journey as enjoyable and rewarding as we can for each individual child so they reach their full potential.
We recognise that children learn in different ways so we plan activities which are practical, with the emphasis on language development and discussion in Heritage Language if appropriate.
The children help to evaluate the activities at the end of each topic so we can keep the curriculum interesting and improve the learning opportunities.
Our Year 1 topics.
Here are some of the ways we help your child to become a confident learner.
- We plan activities which are practical, with the emphasis on language development and discussion in Heritage Language if appropriate.
- We try to give the children first hand experiences as much as possible, with workshops, visits, visitors and walks around the local area.
- We have very talented support staff. They are used to effectively target children with Special Educational Needs or those children who would benefit from extra support because they are Gifted and Talented or just need an extra boost.
- We teach small targeted groups with differentiated activities when needed.
- We also encourage the children to work in mixed ability groups.
- We teach daily phonics lessons based on the Letters and Sounds scheme.
- The children are encouraged to take a reading book from school to share with somebody at home. The reading books are colour banded so they match the ability of the reader.
Your child has the opportunity to explore and learn for themselves during our outdoor play activities. They have the opportunity to try out the skills they have been taught during the half term topic. The children are encouraged to use team building skills, problem solving and language skills. These skills help the children learn to work together to achieve.
How you can help your child with their learning .
Please read every day with your child.
Please help your child with their weekly homework and return it to school on Monday morning.
Please ensure your child has a water bottle with their name clearly written on the bottle.
Please make sure your child has a PE kit at school. (black leggings and a white t-shirt).
Ensure your child has their hair tied back and is not wearing jewellery or earrings on the day of their PE lesson.
If you would like to find out more about your child’s time in Year 1 please ask any of the Year 1 Team who will be happy to help you.
Mrs Lane-Stewart Year 1 Team Leader.