Our aim in Year 2 is to make the teaching and learning an enjoyable experience. We endeavour to make lessons and activities practical and embedded in context where appropriate.
Skills and knowledge in core subjects are consolidated through lessons which focus on the using and applying of these skills and this is reflected in the planning.
Here are some of the ways we help your child to become a confident learner.
- We plan activities which are practical, with the emphasis on language development and discussion in Heritage Language if appropriate.
- We try to give the children first hand experiences as much as possible, with workshops, visits, visitors and walks around the local area.
- We have very talented support staff. They are used to effectively target children with Special Educational Needs or those children who would benefit from extra support because they are Gifted and Talented or just need an extra boost.
- Each class identifies the children who need extra help with reading, writing and mathematics. We target these children from the time they enter Year 2, using their Early Years Foundation Scores and end of term levels from Year 1. We also use the transition notes from the previous class teachers
- For children who require additional support we have an effective early intervention meeting in the term before the children start Year 2, which is attended by the head teacher, Year group leaders and Year 2 teachers.
- Children are then targeted to follow one of the many successful interventions we offer at Manorfield School.
- We also offer nurturing activities to support children’s social and emotional needs in the Rainbow Room.
- Each class teacher displays the daily timetable on a large whiteboard. This ensures that everyone in the classroom is informed of the routines and learning objectives for each day.
- The daily timetable is shared with the adults in the classroom before the start of each day and is also shared with the class each day.
- Every pupil has an individual writing and numeracy targets on their table and pupils regularly refer to their targets
- We value the learning within the outdoor environment and children access the outdoor provision in the afternoon.
- We teach daily phonics/SPaG lessons based on the Read, Write Inc. scheme and the National Curriculum.
- The children take home a reading book to share with somebody at home on a daily basis.
If you would like to find out more about your child’s time in Year 2 please ask any of the Year 2 Team who will be happy to help you.
Mrs Ellis Assistant Head KS1